What’s Trending in Kitchen Design?
When it comes to kitchen design, I am always looking for opportunities to use a variety of patterns, finishes and textures through the tile, cabinetry, countertops, lighting, plumbing fixtures and accessories, based on my client’s taste and preferences. In my opinion, mixing things up adds interest and character, and consequently, doing so aligns perfectly with the current trends in kitchen design.
Kitchens and baths represent a $134 billion industry, according to recent research conducted by the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA). Here’s what NKBA research describes as ten kitchen trends to watch for:
- Emerging designs: Clean lines, built-ins, and simple door styles dominate kitchen designs. Contemporary- styled kitchens will overtake traditional to be the second most popular design after transitional. Industrial and mid-century modern kitchen design is emerging.
- Color schemes: White and gray painted cabinets dominate kitchen color schemes and show no signs of slowing down, especially gray. Blue painted and high gloss cabinets are emerging. For overall color schemes, blue as well as black are emerging.
- Mixing it up: Two-toned kitchens are gaining in popularity. Also mixing it up: materials and metals, across surfaces and as accents.
- Cabinet colors: While wood cabinets dominate kitchen designs, metal – currently a small segment of the cabinet market – appears to be emerging.
- Cabinet features: Furniture-look pieces, rollouts, pullouts and under cabinet lighting (LED) are among the most popular kitchen cabinet features. Crown molding is declining. Rustic and reclaimed woods were mentioned.
- Countertop materials: Quartz is the most popular kitchen countertop material, and trending up. Granite, the second most popular countertop material, is trending down.
- Cooking appliance trends: Induction cooktops and convection ovens are trending higher, and microwave drawers are outpacing freestanding or built-in microwaves.
- Technology in the kitchen is increasing. About one-third of NKBA professionals included wiring and pathways for future tech integration. Also trending: internet connected appliances and docking stations.
- Doors: Interior barn and pocket doors are trending up.
- Accessible and/or universal design features continue to trend up for kitchens.
At Maria Causey Interior Design, we always stay well informed about nuances and trends in kitchen design. Since you likely spend lots of quality time cooking and entertaining in the kitchen, we want to help you to make choices that will last. For more information or to receive a proposal for your next kitchen project, please contact Maria Causey Interior Design today.